Trump has once again taken to Twitter to attack North Korea’s Kim Jong-un.
In a threatening tweet sent out on Saturday, the US President said that “only one thing will work” in dealing with North Korea.
“Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid” he tweeted “…Hasn’t worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, making fools of U.S. negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!”
Whilst the threat was not explicitly made out to be military action, Trump has suggested he is not afraid to take that step. Trump told top U.S. military leaders earlier this week that it was the “calm before the storm.”
The controversial President has also said that he would be willing to “totally destroy” North Korea if it meant protecting allies from nuclear threats.
Speaking on Mike Huckabee’s television show, Trump said: North Korea “should have been handled 25 years ago, it should have been handled 10 years ago, it should have been handled during the Obama administration,”
Despite these comments, the US Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, said that Washington will maintain these open lines of communication with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s government.
Trump said that despite these disagreements, he usually had a good relationship with Tillerson.
”We have a very good relationship. We disagree on a couple of things. Sometimes I’d like him to be a little bit tougher, but other than that we have a very good relationship,” he said.
On Friday, a Russian lawmaker was quoted in saying that North Korea was preparing to test a long-distance missile that had the potential to reach the west coast of the United States.
Tensions between the US and North Korea have been high, with several threats cast between the states.