Prince Philip to retire from public engagments

The Duke of Edinburgh will retire in Autumn.

Buckingham Palace has announced that Prince Philip will retire from public engagements this Autumn.

“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The duke has the full support of The Queen.” it said in a statement.

“Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying the Queen. Thereafter, The duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.”

“The Duke of Edinburgh is patron, president or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.”

The 96-year-old Duke of Edinburgh has suffered some health problems in the past few years. In June 2013, spent 11 days in the private London Clinic for an exploratory abdominal operation.

The prime minister said: “On behalf of the whole country, I want to offer our deepest gratitude and good wishes to His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh following today’s announcement that he will stand down from public duties in the autumn.

“From his steadfast support for Her Majesty, the Queen of his inspirational Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his patronage of hundreds of charities and good causes, his contribution to our United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and the wider world will be of huge benefit to us all for years to come.”

The Duke has been one of the more busy Royal family members. He carried out 110 days of engagements last year.

The duke attended Lord’s Cricket Ground on Wednesday to open a new stand and was heard joking at the event that he is the “world’s most experienced plaque unveiler”.